Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Ironman Texas



Well the time has come. Flying to Houston today for the inaugural IM Texas. Super excited, but a little interested with seeing how thebody will react to the heat and humidity. It has been a good while since I have raced in these types of conditions, and I have never raced an Ironman in such. No matter the weather, we will giver' hell and go for broke! Hopefully making a push for KONA and see if it is in the cards. After qualifying for Xterra worlds it would be nice to try and complete the double. It would also be nice to have a reason to stay in Hawaii for 2 weeks. Ironman Worlds is a dream that will burn in me until it is accomplished, but it is a dream not easily reached for puny mortals such as myself. Gotta reach for the stars sometimes.


Training for IM Texas has also brought upon some interesting challenges. After training for Coeur d'Alene last year (late June), I thought it wouldn't pose to much of an inconvenience. However, the weather has decided to be rather challenging in CO this year. Wind, Snow, Rain you name it, it's been abundant on my days off. So I have logged many, many trainer miles, and many bricks involving a trainer/treadmill combo. I do believe that these sessions may have been helpful however. Completed in my basement with our space heater cranked, hopefully this acted as race day simulation sessions.


This vacation/race is coming at a good time. I am excited to take a break from the daily grind, and spend some time with the wife alone. This weekend will also be the our 2 year anniversary, very exciting. I can honestly say marriage is work, but the fruits of your labor way out weigh any down sides to a loving relationship.


At the end of the day I/We our lucky to be able to enjoy some of the things we love. So no matter the result or suffering, this is at my own doing and I will enjoy it (see if this is what I'm saying at mile 18 of the run :))


-Josh

No comments:

Post a Comment